Here’s another fast and furious but delicious recipe that is hubby tried and approved. If you are similar to me and hate those floppy, flavourless buns and are not too keen on that plain sausage either, then this version might change your mind on hot dogs.
What you need for 2 people:
for the sautéd onions:
- slice 2 onions and sauté them with some olive oil – don’t fry them, they should be still be soft
- add 1/4 of a teaspoon cinnemon and chili powder each
- add a pinch of cayenne pepper and stir everything shortly – don’t stir too long or the chili will get bitter
- add about 2 – 2 1/2 tablespoons of ketchup
- add some water and stir everything so that the onions are well covered with the sauce (beware not to add too much water – about 100ml should be more than enough)
- set the onions aside for the moment and clean the pan
- brown 2 bratwurst
- slice open 2 whole wheat buns
- put in some pickled cabbage – fill the buns half way leaving some space for the rest of the incrediences
- add one bratwurst to each bun
- drap the onions over the bratwurst
- add some sweet mustard
Now the only thing you need to figure out is how you get this really big hot dog into your mouth 😛 Enjoy!