This week I was forced to stay at home due to a lot of sneezing and sick feeling. Luckily it was not the flu but only a short cold. This on the other hand gave me time to work on some projects and start some new ones.
I was lucky to get picked by Emma from EmmaCraftDesign to test the pattern for her super-cute Sandy, the Sea Dragon. I fell in love with this little fellow from first sight and had waited already for the pattern release. The pattern is so well written that it really worked up fast and easy. It’s probably not the right pattern for a total beginner as it has some tricky spots but I can highly recommend it for anyone with already a little bit of experience in amigurumi patterns.
The pattern calls for DK weight – I actually used Scheepjes Catona which is a 4-ply and a multi-color cotton yarn I had leftovers from. She ended up approximately 12 cm from fins to horns. Look at this cute stuby nose <3. I am certain that I will make her some more companions – sea dragons live in flocks as far as I know…. Thanks so much Emma for this great pattern and a lovely first testing experience!
After whipping up Sandy, I started the Solar System CAL designed by Alex from Two Hearts Crochet. I struggled a little bit with the beginning as the Sun started to curl really a lot – and though our solar system might not be flat, my project is supposed to be. I want to use it as a rug in my library and I really don’t want to stumble over the sun all the time. Luckily I was not alone with this problem and as I am late to the party, there were also several solutions proposed on her blog. Now even though the sun bugles a little bit, its much better and the rest is nice and flat. It will probably not become my favorite project though – and if you’ve ever done a project with only half double crochet stitches in the round then you might understand why. Can’t wait to get the base finished so that I can add the fun stuff to it!
Finally I had a go at sewing again after quite a long break. My running buddy convinced me to join her at a yoga class as an alternative training for better mobility and core stability. And as I find it really, really, REALLY gross to train on a mat someone else sweated on, I went on a shopping spree and bought myself a yoga mat. Wow, those mats are seriously expensive … As a result I decided against also purchasing a yoga bag and will just sew that myself. The shop I usually buy my fabric from however had a terrible selection of oilskin fabric and so I postponed the bag-sewing to another time. That made me in need of something to prevent the mat from unrolling when carrying it. So I came up with the idea of just copying the paper sleeve the mat came with. That was an easy and fun sewing project: just sewed a double sided rectangle and added some Prym Colour Snaps.
Last but not least I wanted to sew that little fish kit but I totally messed up. I made the worst beginner error of all. I did not think when cutting the shapes from the fabric and ended with two front side pieces for body, head and fins. So stupid of me to not flip the template over for the backside! I was frustrated, stomped and rumbled a lot while my hubby tried to hide from my stormy mood. I was actually almost ready to throw everything away in frustration – almost crying because it was a present from my best friend. Luckily I did not yet because now that I have cooled down again, I have the perfect solution. There will be two fish with different fronts and backs – fish never swim alone anyway ;).